Bad Weather Thwarts K2 Summit Attempt

Change in weather forecast over past two days have forced K2 climbers to abandon first summit-bid of the season. Majority of climbers have already started the descent from C3 (7300m). whereas Sherpa are trying to conclude the rope-fixing to C4 (Update:- white out conditions on mountain forced everyone including Sherpa to retreat. There has been queues of descending of climbers). A second weather window is predicted to appear in last 10 days of July. It’s yet to be seen, if this second window is good enough for summit push.

There were too many question marks about current summit-bid right at the start, when teams left BC on July 10th. It was hoped that conditions doesn’t deteriorate on July 14th – the potential summit day. However, the situation didn’t look good as weather forecast refined over past couple of days. As a final testimony, meteorologist reiterated today that wind speed at summit will exceed 40km/hr on July 14th.

Having slept a night in C3, the group of 70+ climbers should feel better prepared for second summit attempt. Route is ready and camps are well supplied.

Powered by Blogger.